Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Generation O: Millennials as Pioneer



Levi's is breaking its newest campaign from it's new agency W&K on July 4th. The insight for the campaign links the values of Generation "O," (the progressive Millennials who helped tip the youth vote for Obama) to the brand values: America's pioneering spirit and ingenuity. The black and white film imagery is epic (very Terrence Malik's Days of Heaven). Yet the element that's most interesting is the soundtrack. Someone over at W&K had the idea to use the only known recording of Walt Whitman reciting his poem, "America." How did they think of that? A google search on America values? A youtube search? An idea from a long-ago poetry class squirreled away for future use in an ad campaign? I'm curious!

From what I've seen online, there is no reference in the commercial about the poem, the author or the 1890s recording. If one just happened to see the spot in the movie theater this weekend, I wonder what people would think about the track? I found the track on Youtube, along with an animated Whitman spouting the verse (this is not from the campaign). Maybe the agency is thinking "disruption." Maybe they're thinking buzz value (I'm certainly talking about it, but I'm not the target.)

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say about the campaign. I can't think of any contemporary examples of advertising that has used classic poetry. I do suspect that poetry may be considered "cool" among twentysomethings (contemporary songwriters and rappers are considered poets). Poetry always has been cool--yet niche--among that age cohort.

Whitman certainly is an intriguing fellow--iconoclast, poet pioneer, journalist, politically-engaged, humanitarian, nurse, potentially closeted about his sexuality. Can't you just see Anthony Hopkins in the Whitman bio-pic?

A little known fact about me: I learned and recited one of Whitman's most famous poems when I was seven years old. O Captain, My Captain. I can still remember parts of it. I particularly loved reciting the dramatically ghoulish lines, "o hark, hark, hark o those bleeding drops of red, where on the deck my captain lies, fallen, cold and dead."

No comments: