Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The new design: Visualizing Data


In the age of powerpoint, I've found it challenging (ok--blasted difficult) to visualize info in new and interesting ways. I've bought the Edward Tufte books...too complex for my little brain. For inspiration, I try to tear out the graphic maps that appear in the Sunday NYTimes. Just last month, I felt I had a breakthrough when I used a cloud tag to microencapsulate findings from consumer ethnographies.
Last week, Michael Cannel wrote for Fast Company that visualization of data is the next frontier of design. "It reflects the complexity of the world in simple terms. It is a window onto the world, in all its digital complexity." The article and folks commenting on it provided some helpful resources, including "Wordle," which I used to create the cloud tag (above) from mom interviews about feeding the kids. Cool.

IBM's Many Eyes public graphic tool: http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/

Sources

No comments: