Friday, October 24, 2008

Laddering is not new--but I like it



I ran across this chart from research that pointed the way to the winning strategy for the Reagan campaign in '84. Richard Wirthlin, the research strategist, believed the way to win the White House was to link what Reagan stood for to the values of the voters. On the chart, the shaded boxes are benefits uniquely associated with Reagan. His competitor's benefits (the underlined areas) were leading to a "Better America." The Reagan strategists decided to go after the white-space of "Preserving World Peace." It drove the creation of one of the most famous political ads in history: "The Bear in the Woods," created and narrated by Hal Riney. The"Bear" spot is on the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA


As I write this, I can look out my window at Millenium Park--where David Axelrod may be celebrating his strategic success in just 11 days.


No comments: