Monday, October 27, 2008

Pondering the Degrees of Connection






Walking home tonight, I saw a large yellow Hummer with two suits in the car. On the side of the car was a magnetic sign that said, "Mark Hanson. Liberal Republican. 5th Congressional District." I've never seen the Liberal Republican term in printed form before, though I have heard the words spoken. No matter what the political persuasion, it made me chuckle that the positioning is rather clever.


Curiously googling, I learned that Horace Greeley was the first national Liberal Republican candidate, who ran for president against Ulysses S. Grant. Greeley was an editor of the NY Times and wrote the famous line, "Go west young man." I've strolled the street of his charming summer home in Chappaqua, just blocks away from the Clintons. As we enter the final week before the elections--I just thought it was interesting how even old historical connections can connect to today, like six degrees of separation....


1.Grant, last President elected from Illinois, who ran against

2.Greeley, who lived in Chappaqua, down the street from

3.Bill Clinton past President, now living in Chappaqua

4.Hillary Clinton, born in Illinois, now living in Chappaqua who vied for the nomination against

5.Barak Obama...the future President from Illinois?



No comments: