Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Before everything changed



I'm breaking the rules of my blog, writing about something that took place pre-9-11, pre depression, the world was heady and it was New York baby. It was the second week of January 2001 when my sister and I were enjoying a lovely dinner at Cafe Luxembourg on the upper west side NYC. Seated in a tiny booth for 2 at the front, only inches separated us from the next booth. At dessert, the booth became occupied by--well, two amazing actresses of two generations. Lauren Bacall and Natasha Richardson. Since I'm the pop culture afficionado, and uncertain whether my sister knew who these 2 ladies were--I somehow signaled, "act cool." Lauren Bacall, in true grand dame fashion, silently siganled, "Don't even." Yes, even after moi had read BOTH her biographies, including the one she wrote in long-hand on yellow legal pads.

Both were lively and kissed each other Happy New Year. Natahsa was bubbly and bright, and ordered a "wine spritzer." Lauren announced 2000 had been one lousy year and asked in a gravelly voice, "double vodka." I knew Lauren's ex and the father of her son Sam, Jason Robards, had just passed just two weeks prior. Double vodka made sense to me. Made sense to Natasha too, who changed her drink order to something more serious.

Can't help think of that time, when everything seemed hopeful, golden, happening, happy. I can attest that these two ladies lit up the room, and the electricity within 6 inches of their booth is a great memory. Who knew our worlds would change so dramatcally in the new Millenium? So it was bittersweet to see on the news tonight that Laruen visited Natasha in the hospital today. Somehow, that's comforting. God speed Natasha.

2 comments:

snickers said...

Amazingly sad. Can't quite figure out why I am so touched by her passing.Is it the dynasty? Nice to hear about your personal experience meeting her family and loved ones
.

carol said...

My sister questioned the same thing--why are we so touched by this? I think it's because fame, fortune, talent...they can't protect us from the unexpected. We try to live in the moment, but I know I'm not that successful.